Prev: Re: Top 10 Reasons Mardi Gras is Better Than GZG-ECC III Next: RE: Wargaming & RPG's

Re: More Timeline Stuff, Hopefully Less Controversial

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:07:27 +1000
Subject: Re: More Timeline Stuff, Hopefully Less Controversial

GT'day Brian,

>I plan on having several worlds populated by
>colonists from those two nations, probably  colonists who fit the
American
>stereotype of Australians, or at least the one I grew up with - tough,
>resourceful people with a strong independent streak.

Well assuming there's enough of us to go round the OU and your colonies
I'm
sure they'd be some willing to oblige ;)

>My question is, can I get some suggestions for good names for such
worlds?
>Perhaps the names of early explorers or white discoverers of those
>countries, or original aborigine/maori names for those lands, or
things of
>that nature. I figure, if in my storyline the planets are named by
Aussies
>and Kiwis, why not have them named thusly in real life?

Can't really help you with Kiwi side of things sorry, but as for Aussies
just a few off the top of my head would include:

Explorers:
Robert O'Hara Burke
William John Wills
Gregory Blacksland
William Lawson
William Wentworth
Dirck Hartog
George Bass
Matthew Flinders
Edward John Eyre
Ludwig Leichhart
John Oxley
Charles Sturt
Joseph Banks
Hume
Hovell
James Cook
Abel Tasman <guess what he found ;) >
Vaez de Torres
William Dampier
Arthur Phillip (head of the first fleet of convicts dumped here)
John Macarthur (responsible for all the sodding sheep down here)
Douglas Mawson (explored Antarctica)
Charles Kingsford Smith (early aviator and first person saved from
drowning
by the Bondi surf club)

Can't honestly believe I remembered that much of my primary school
history
lessons, old Miss Price would be impressed ;)

Aboriginal (Kamilaroi) words:
biruu (far away)
ngarribaa (above or far away)
baabi-li (to camp)
burriin (shield)
garriil (cold)
gilay (moon)
gimubi-li (to make)
mayan (waterhole)
mirii (star)

Hope that helps

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Top 10 Reasons Mardi Gras is Better Than GZG-ECC III Next: RE: Wargaming & RPG's