Prev: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q) Next: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)

Re: NBC

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:50:06 -0500
Subject: Re: NBC

It's funny, you have essentially come on here and somewhat slammed
everyone
because the discussion on this list do not conform to what you think fun
in an
SG2 game should be even though this thread and every other one on here
at the
moment is fairly typical of the discourse that goes on..

sportyspam@harm.dhs.org wrote:

>   Seriously though, this is supposed to be SF, but everyone on this
list
> seems to be doing their best to make it exactly like WWII.  People
aren't
> talking about combat in low gravity, but how encumbering cold weather
gear
> is.  They aren't talking about terminator robots slaughtering their
way
> through squads [okay, the Daleks come close LMAO], but if mines should
do
> blah because they do in WWII, etc. etc.

There have been very extensive discussions on subject such as Robots and
AI
combat, nanotech combat and other wazoo movie-based ports and TCs  here
in the
past and they come up time and again. (The recent discussion last month
over
remapping experienced combat troops brains to clones when they die and
other
advanced medtech issues comes to mind)	Sorry if you either just joined
the list
or missed those discussions for whatever reason.

Maybe instead of realistic, people here will tend to try and make stuff
"plausible". Else we'd all be playing Warhammer all the time. In the
vast
majority of movies the science behind the fantasy is cooked up while the
writer
is waiting for his three-minute egg to boil. That's OK, still makes for
an
entertaining movie and even entertaining gaming even with SG2 rules. But
the
bent of many on this list is to try and apply some sort of reasoning too
how the
little things would work or might work, based on stuff like physical
laws, what
biological constraints we operate under (and might reasonably be
expected to
operate under in the near future), as well as other factors.

Certainly the core interest of this group for me, is when someone cooks
up
something and everyone hashes it around. I mean , for example, if I come
up with
something wazoo, regarding ..whatever... the evolution of some alien
race, then
I find it real interesting to hear what Beth says about, who works on
this stuff
for real ever day down under. Sure at any time during the conversation
one could
say, yeah well it's just my universe and things evolved like this,
period, but
it's also fun to take maybe some actual principles of evolution and
apply them
to the race. It may not be your cup of tea, but it seems that this
process is
the cup of tea for the majority on this list.

Likewise there's a few of us on this list with extensive naval, or
ground combat
arms experience and even combat experience.   Sometimes it's nice to get
that
perspective on a subject since we are talking about infantry action in a
rules
system that covers anything from now all the way forward. Not that I
have
participated in the NBC discussion or the "what to do if your buddy dies
while
carrying the SAW" discussion (Too busy getting ready for GZG-ECC), but
its
completely plausible to wonder how the heck you would extract a SAW from
a dead
body especially if it's on a gyromount and get it on you instead, as
well as how
long would that take and what's the best way to simulate that in a SG2
game
since it is something that happens plenty of times. For many THAT IS the
fun of
this board and the game.

Cheers...

Los