Prev: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? Next: Thanks to Scott and KR....

Re: NBC

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:41:31 EST
Subject: Re: NBC

In a message dated 2/23/00 12:36:14 PM Central Standard Time,
sportyspam@harm.dhs.org writes:

<<  'In the future, wars will be much different.  Battles will be fought
 by small robots in space, or maybe on a tall mountain.  But anyway,
your
 job will be to build and maintain these robots...'
   Why send a 500kg of man, munitions, medications and meals when you
can
 send 1mg of nanites.  :D

Let's quote the intro to SG ii, shall well"What style of game is
Stargrunt
II? WWell, for a start it is not meant to be "How war will be fought in
the
far future". I don't know how war will be fought in the far future" . .
.
". . .	but I could hazard a guess that a lot of it will involve a few
automated drones shooting at each other over a virtually empty
battlefield -
not very inspiring as a miniatures game!

No, what we are doing here is creating anenvironment for SF miniatures
games
that has a similar style to those portrayed in Combat SF novels, films,
and
TV series; most of these have their roots firnly in present-day military

concepts, tactics and organization - which is why the Colonial Marines
in the
ALiens movies look (and act) just like present-day US Marines and the
"boot
camp" sequences in Heinleing's classic Starship Troopers would be
familiar to
any recruit from WW ! onwards.
Consider that although technology and tactics may change, basic human
nature
doesn't.

"So, what we have tried to do with STARGRUNT II is to produce a system
for
simlating SF actions where the ordinary soldiers are not too unlike
those
tramping across the battlefield of yesterday or today . . "

A couple of KG of nanites might win a war - but its damned poor gaming.

Prev: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? Next: Thanks to Scott and KR....