Prev: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? Next: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?

Re: [SG] at 15mm

From: -MWS- <mshurtleff1@u...>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:38:15 -0800
Subject: Re: [SG] at 15mm

At 05:12 PM 2/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>> Actually, modern 25mm is closer to 1/62 or 1/64 than it is to 1/72.
The
>> model railroading HO scale is 1/87, and that roughly equates to 18mm
right
>> now.
>>
>> Here's the current standard ref page for scale conversions:
>>
>>     http://www.theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html
>
>I wish there were a better standard for these scales. :-/

Well, first of all you have to realize that "25mm" is NOT a "scale".  It
is
a rough measurement, nothing more.  Old Glory 25mm are not the same
"scale"
as Foundry minis, and they both differ from GZG figs.  While most
manufacturers try and get *close* to what the other companies to in
terms
of size, the "millimeter scales" are not actual scale in the same manner
that the kit models and model railroad scales are.  In fact, the model
railroad "scales" are not technically scales either - they are *gauges*
that have been standardized into specific ratio scales for
compatibility.

>My 1/48  Russian helo seems to be too small compared to my '28mm'
>GW figs, and just about right for my GZG 25mm troops (just about;
>the interior is....tight; but the pilots are almost the same size).
>
><sigh> Well, my figs don't quite match what the table gives.  :-/
>
>Mk

Considering that GW still lists their stuff as "25mm" when they are
closer
to 30mm, this doesn't surprise me a bit.  There has been a general
"scale
creep" in the millimeter scales over the years.  The Ral Partha fantasy
figs that I bought back in the mid 1970's are much smaller than the
current
25mm models.  The manufacturers also exagerate the girth of most of the
models; take a look at some of the plastic 1/72 or HO (1/87) figures -
they
are very "spindly" compared to the pewter figs that we're used to
working
with in wargames.

Bottom line - use what looks good when trying to match the "millimeter
scale" figures to any of the plastic model/railroad scales, because
there
is certainly *NO* "standard conversion formula" that works across
multiple
manufacturers.

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
 email: hauptman@sfcmd.com
 StarFighter Command Homepage: http://www.sfcmd.com/

Prev: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs? Next: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?