Prev: Canada 2183 Next: Re: Technology of 2183

Re: Where's the Cheese?

From: kwasTAKETHISOUT@o... (Kr'rt)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:01:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Where's the Cheese?

After a furious but fruitless search for my Stargrunt rules, I beg a
question from someone who has theirs next to their monitor...
(I did find the counter sheet, though....)

Don't the rules say that you (The Squad Leader) split off a sub
section of a given squad, thereby forming two smaller elements?  That
accomplishes the splitting of fire maneuver and has the additional
leadership mechanic to eliminate the "cheesiness"

If you want to lay down split supressive fire, pay the admin costs.
This would emulate the SL saying "You five, burn a clip over there.
and YOU five, wait until these guys reload and then hit em again."
After the threat is over, the SL then reorganizes his squad into one
coherent unit then moves on.

Isn't Stargrunt supposed to be squad based in flavor?  Splitting fire
down to that level borders on what FMA is supposed to do.  ie Squad
Based versus Figure Based gaming.

-=Kr'rt

Quoth Michael Sarno <msarno@ptdprolog.net>...
>Magic wrote:
>
>> Now as for the other riflemen in the squad.	Splitting them to
"Maximise the
>> dice potential" of thier fire is definitly treading into cheese mode.
>> Though possible (barely) the SL would not split the fire of his
troops on
>> the same target.
>
>    Why wouldn't the SL split fire?  Splitting fire is merely an
abstraction.
>It's hard to say exactly what would be occuring in a turn when a player
chooses
>to split fire, but it could indicate any number of perfectly reasonable
>tactics.  Firing to suppress, rather than kill is a perfectly valid RL
tactic.