Prev: Re: FT FB1 PDS through aft arc question Next: Re: Georgia in winter

Re: I have to call you on that

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:34:19 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: I have to call you on that

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Thomas.Barclay wrote:

> i disagree with your starting assertion: that it's strange, or somehow
> inconsistent, to allow grav and FTL but not robot troops. it's not a
> binary choice between modern or SF: there is a ladder of advancement,
> starting with minor improvements over current tech (eg ARs with
thermal
> imagers) and ending with the super space-age (eg robot troops). i
think
> the Tuffleyverse is halfway up this ladder - far enough to have FTL,
PA,
> some grav, and smart fire control, but not far up enough to have robot
> troops, ubiquitous grav, personal plasma cannons, etc.
>
> tom
>
> ** Tom, I'm afraid (unless I'm sorely mistaken) there is an entry in
the GZG
> canon history that indicates Grav is in common use. I'll have to look
it up,
> but if that is the case... then at least in that minor particular
you're a
> wee bit off.

i got the impression they existed, but weren't common; i'd say grav was
ubiquitous when every logistics unit uses grav-trollies to shift crates
about, and i don't think the Tuffleyverse is in that state.

> And since their is an Infantry Plasma Gun.... ;)

not exactly a personal weapon, though. otoh, i've seen an SG2 UN TO+E
that
suggests the UN infantry use plasma rifles, and i was (briefly)
considering them for the Dutch marines. i get the impression they're not
reliable enough to be deployed as a universal weapon.

in effect, i'm saying the Tuffleyverse is advanced enough to have this
tech, but not to use it! i think St^3 Jon's comments are sort of in this
direction, although i suspect i'm still somewhat to the high-tech side
of
his vision :).

tom

Prev: Re: FT FB1 PDS through aft arc question Next: Re: Georgia in winter