Prev: Technology of 2183 Next: Re: Was re: RFACS but diverging into philosophic ramblings about future tech...

Re: I have to call you on that

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:46:32 +0000
Subject: Re: I have to call you on that

>i disagree with your starting assertion: that it's strange, or somehow
>inconsistent, to allow grav and FTL but not robot troops. it's not a
>binary choice between modern or SF: there is a ladder of advancement,
>starting with minor improvements over current tech (eg ARs with thermal
>imagers) and ending with the super space-age (eg robot troops). i think
>the Tuffleyverse is halfway up this ladder - far enough to have FTL,
PA,
>some grav, and smart fire control, but not far up enough to have robot
>troops, ubiquitous grav, personal plasma cannons, etc.
>
>tom
>
>** Tom, I'm afraid (unless I'm sorely mistaken) there is an entry in
the GZG
>canon history that indicates Grav is in common use. I'll have to look
it up,
>but if that is the case... then at least in that minor particular
you're a
>wee bit off. And since their is an Infantry Plasma Gun.... ;)

It is commonly available to those who can afford it, but it is very
expensive, quite delicate and difficult to maintain in a battlefield
situation, especially with a long supply line in colonial settings. Most
forces still use simpler and more robust stuff where they can, with grav
and similar hi-tech used only where it can REALLY be of benefit. Much
the
same with the Plasma Guns - anyone can buy one (if they know where to
shop... <grin>) but in most cases it is better to have something that
costs
far less, and that the local colonial blacksmith can fix....

Jon (GZG)