Prev: Re: Alternate history Next: Re: Was re: RFACS but diverging into philosophic ramblings about future tech...

[SG/DS] Extreme weather (was Georgia in winter)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:37:29 +1000
Subject: [SG/DS] Extreme weather (was Georgia in winter)

G'day Alan,

>Considering the range of temperatures here on Earth, plus natural
>hazards such as Tornados etc. what effect would extremes of weather
have
>in SG/DS? The plastic thermometer I left in my car was melted one day,
>with the needle at 70C. And I've had quite a few models damaged by
heat,
>just leaving them in the car for 1/2 hour.

I'd say a pretty big one! For instance, many of the reserves from down
here
that were heading off to Timor did a month of acclimatisation in
Townsville
first. I grew up in a place where it got to -15 deg C in winter (OK not
cold by you "above 60the parallel" guys but cold enough to freeze the
pipes
and outdoor dunny solid - and that's bad in my opinion) and then upto
45+
in summer, the whole way you tackled things changed with the seasons. So
if
you saw even one of the extremes on a battlefield (let alone both if
your
somewhere, say a planetoid, that goes diurnally between the extremes)
then
you're going to be effected via endurance, heat stroke, potential
equipment
failure etc etc. I haven't got round to doing an extreme terrain game
yet,
but I've been thinking over accumulative movement and reaction test
penalities to do with weather/terrain (e.g. Green start as normal but as
things wear on they go off the boil as the heat (etc) takes its toll).

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Alternate history Next: Re: Was re: RFACS but diverging into philosophic ramblings about future tech...