Prev: Re: Great Quote Next: Re: Great Quote

RE: Ummm... actually...

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:21:25 PST
Subject: RE: Ummm... actually...

Why, thank you... you made me feel like much less the fool. And I agree
that
the rules should find a way of reflecting the high ROF of such weapons.

I think, and you'll pardon me if this is rambling or self-apparent or
old
news, or if my inebriated state is at all revealed(My wife had to be out
of
town for valentines day, I have found solace in the arms of Messrs.
Bacardi), That it is important to consider the specific attributes of
any
weapon or system before employing it for a given situation.

I have made the mistake, quite often in the past, of trying to develop
tactics around a specific weapon or system of weapons.	Then the
epiphany
came.  It started with a comment by Jerry Pournelle in one of his Sparta

novels that strategy dictates tactics. From this I have begun to
extrapolated that as tactics descend from strategy, so weapons design
must
serve tactics.

I suppose this is most likely the main reason that the ancient Greek
word
for weapon (Hoplon) is derived from the word for tool.	If we again
extrapolate (Hell, others accused me of it, and rightly so, I might as
well
do a lot of it) from a definition of a tool as an implement for the
application of force to accomplish a specific task or end result, then
we
see that a weapon is a tool to bring about a specific tactical end.

Whether that be a very specialized tactic, like the death of an enemy
soldier or Tank, or a more generalized tactic, like the taking of hill
1234,
the basic truth remains - A weapon is a means, not an end. Thus, a
commander
must consider the tactical situation, and employ the weapons he has at
his
disposal to accomplish the tactical ends as efficiently as possible.
Just as
you would never use a shovel to break rock when you have a sledge
hammer, or
use that same sledge hammer to stir your stew, so it behooves (I've
always
wanted to  use that word in a real conversation) the commander to
consider
the strengths and weaknesses of each weapon at his disposal and deploy
them
in such a manner as to conceal the weaknesses and exploit the stengths.

That is why I heartily agree that the rules should somehow allow for
such
considerations - high rate of fire weapons vs slower weapons with
greater
penetrative power, etc.  As it stands, enfilade fire is not a factor,
even
though as you've pointed out, it's one of the most effective uses of
rapid
fire weaponry.

Brian Bilderback

"The Irish are the only race of people on Earth for which psychoanalysis
is
of no use."

				 - S. Freud