Prev: Re: Strike Boats... Next: SV: Strike Boats...

Re: FT strikeboats

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:11:07 +0100
Subject: Re: FT strikeboats

Glen Bailey wrote:

>>>I used two types of guns, based on the same mass 10 hull and cost 37
>>>points each (including weapons).  No FTL, Thrust of 4,
>>
>>*Much* too slow for a strikeboat IMO, regardless of which movement
>>system you used. I consider thrust 6 to be the absolute minimum for
>>non-missile strike boats attacking a mobile enemy.
>
> ...just because you fight very mobile enemies.

As I wrote in the other post to Imre, in this particular case I
consider anything with more than thrust zero to be "mobile". I'm the
local speed freak - my main opponents aren't that mobile, but I know
fairly well how big engines my strikeboats need to fight them :-/

>Thrust 6 is plenty fast for my main "enemy" (Steve has thrust 2
>battlewagons, he even decided thrust 1 was too slow).

<chuckle>

I consider thrust 6 to be sufficient, but barely rather than plenty,
for (F)-arc ships like Imre's attacking thrust 2 or thrust 1 units.
Thrust 4 is not - too little acceleration as well as too wide turning
arcs.

>I have new Thrust 6 strike boats at my web site under the Blue fleet
list.

> http://hometown.aol.com/gbailey/GBMain.html
>
> I tried 12 torp boats, mass 14, thrust 6, 180 degree torp.  They died
> in droves from Steve's 5 FC battlewagon, but this kept all his
firepower
> from firing at our main ships.  It was close but we still lost (damn
dice
> rolls taking out all my FCs in one threshold check...grrr).

For these ships, lower thrust ratings work better (since most of them
have 180 degree arcs instead of 60 degree ones), but they're still
brittle enough to want to close the range as fast as possible. I might
be tempted to fly these at thrust 5 (mass 13, cost 47, all other stats
stay the same), but not at thrust 4.

>> Course, if you can't roll a '6' to save your life needles aren't a
very good >>deal anyway <g>

> *sigh*    I can roll 6s, but in another game (SFB) where low is good.

Low rolls are good in FT as well, at least when you're rolling for
threshold damage :-)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Strike Boats... Next: SV: Strike Boats...