Prev: Re: Very new to this Next: Re: Roughnecks

Re: Weapons interface conundra - SG2

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:21:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Weapons interface conundra - SG2

>Just some ideas to try to straighten out the roll of the RFAC and GAC.
As it
>is now, ror firing at infantry, I'd surely rather have a guy with a
>non-stabilized, non-sighted SAW firing for d10 FP and d10 impact than a
guy
>with a stabilized, sighted RFAC firing for guidance FC (d6 to d10... at
max
>equal to the SAW) and d8 impact.

Good ideas, and I absolutely agree with the sentiment.

Here's another one tossed out at you.

There are two different questions being discussed here.  The first is
about
the rate of fire of the SG universe autocannon type weapons (ie a
bushmaster vs a vulcan - obviously the vulcan is going to dump a LOT
more
rounds downrange) and the damage caused when these weapons hit infantry.

The "slow" firing weapons have a lower chance of actually hitting a
dispersed infantryman, simply by virtue of the lower number of rounds
impacting the target area and the fact that they are being aimed at the
area of the squad, rather than individual people (which is why the HAMR
should be so much more effective vs. infantry targets - it only hits ONE
at
a time).

Their damage is taken to be that of the explosive effect of the rounds.
Kind of like grenades.	And that makes sense.  It doesn't account for
the
odd time that some grunt takes a 30mm through the chest, but as an
abstract
mechanism it isn't too bad.

But for the fast firing weapons, there is a LOT more chance of guys
actually being hit, and smushed, by the rounds.  Same with GACs which
are
specifically designed to fire lots of rounds.

How about this:

Just as we have 25mm bushmaster type weapons and 25mm vulcan type
weapons
now, which would have different firepower ratings, you could use
different
type weapons in SG.  The "fast" weapons would have firepower of d12
versus
infantry, and the "slow" weapons would have their regular die.	This is
basically what Tom suggested, but I would then add that certainly a hit
from these weapons should do more damage than a hit from a SAW.  So if
infantry get hit by one of these big weapons, their armour is reduced by
one die type.  OR, they get no armour save at all.  You just do the
opposed
range vs. firepower rolls, and if damage is suffered by the target unit,
they don't have any chance of saving it with their armour.  If your
weapons
are limited by the low FC numbers, it means that while there won't be
that
many hits, the ones that do hit will ALWAYS kill.  I don't think this
will
be too overpowering, as the vehicle weapons that are designated as
"fast"
(and use the d12 firepower die instead of the FC die) are still only
going
to be using two die for their attack, and still limited by the quality
of
the firer.

This gives them more punch, but not TOO much more punch.

Adrian

Prev: Re: Very new to this Next: Re: Roughnecks