Prev: Re: New Station Model available Next: Re: my web page of SSDs

Re: [SG] Hand to Hand combat

From: Cleats Balentine <kevinbalentine@y...>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:38:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [SG] Hand to Hand combat

For a good book on the subject, check out "The Whites
of Their Eyes." Oh, crap, now I can't remember the
author's name. I'm at work and the book isn't.

If you're interested in the name of the author, e-mail
me off list and I can get it for you.

The first thing I read in the book hooked me. It was
describing WW I trench warfare and pointed out that at
their closest points, the trenches of the opposing
forces were about the length of a tennis court apart.
Now I've about decided I can't even stomach sending my
toy soldiers into anything that horrible <g>

--- adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca wrote:
> >>Sorry, what I meant was more in the lines of two
> guys vs one
> >guy, say a
> >>squad of eight vs a squad of six.  If the two who
> double up
> >face off a
> >>veteran who roles well, they might not be able to
> beat him.  I
> >think that
> >>the you should have to roll against each attacker,
> not just the
> >once.
> >

> >You are making the assumption that everyone lines
> up and charges
> >forwards in neat lines.  It ain't necessarily so.
> Being
> >outnumbered in melee is generally fatal, but if you
> pick your
> >terrain well you may find a spot where they can't
> all get at you
> >at once.
>

> But that isn't how the rules work.  Either my squad
> makes it into HTH with
> your squad, or it doesn't.  If it does, then we pair
> off the models.  The
> bit about "lines of two guys vs one guy" etc.  is
> referring to the game
> mechanic of pulling both squads out of the terrain,
> lining them up and
> pairing them off, etc.  I don't think he literally
> meant running them
> forward in a ruler-straight skirmish line.  This
> isn't, after all, 40k... <g>
>
> Having said that, I don't have a problem with one
> lucky vet being able to
> whack a bunch of less well trained troopers.	It
> makes the game
> interesting, and makes close combat something to be
> considered carefully
> (and not taken lightly).  Which is good.  And
> realistic.
>
> Adrian

http://im.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: New Station Model available Next: Re: my web page of SSDs