Prev: RE: Re: More HBW stuff. Next: Re: Kravak Scenario idea

Re: [FT] Repair hull?

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:07:58 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Repair hull?

>We were having a discussion about possible tactics since we are
>going to do an e-mail game and my perl script auto-sizes the
>map for ftmap.  He was suggestion speed 10 ships with class V
>beams.
>
>That brought up repair rules, can you repair hull in combat?
>I don't see anything that says you can't.  Repair kind of makes
>these sniping ships pointless against anything of decent size.
>This also brings up the quesion, can you repair armour in
>combat?

No, and no. Repairing of systems by DC teams mainly represents
re-routing
damaged control and power runs, hurriedly replacing electronics modules
and
generally trying to patch things up with chewing gum, baling wire and
lots
of duct tape. They might be able to patch smaller holes in the hull to
restore pressure integrity to vital areas, but they probably couldn't
restore the structural strength lost and certainly aren't up to
replacing
big chunks of hull or armour - that is what you need the mobile
spacedocks
in the fleet train for....
[Semi-OT: read Elizabeth Moon's  "Once a Hero" for some rather nice
descriptions/ideas on DSRVs (Deep Space Repair Vessels)].

Jon (GZG)