Prev: Re: [DS2] K'rathri armor designs - first SWAG Next: my web page of SSDs

Re: FT: Strikeboat designs vs PDS

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:08:10 EST
Subject: Re: FT: Strikeboat designs vs PDS

Now throw in the fact that several PDSs will be firing at several
strikeboats if a strikeboat only needs one hit to take out.  So you
could lose more than 1 strikeboat from PDS fire.  I'll let the
mathematicians figure out those odds.  And a question for those
mathematicians: if a strikeboat has 1 armor and 1 hull, how do you
spread your PDS fire to get maximum effect?  3 per boat?  2 per boat
and hope you get lucky?

We don't take PDS fire so lightly since we tend to have more PDS
on our ships than the FB designs (we have a healthy fear of fighers and
SMs).

Glen
------
-----------------
From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>

>>It's not used very often here in my neck of the woods, but
page 12 of the
>>Fleet Book allows PDS to fire at ships in a limited capacity.
>
>Yup, I stand corrected. Though the chance of a hit is quite
low.

The chance of not getting a hit is 5/6 = .833
The chance of not getting a hit with 2 PDS is 25/36 = .694
With 3 PDS, 125/216 = .578
For 4 PDS, 625/1296 = .482

So a reasonable number of PDS means you have a pretty fair
chance of killing the strikeboat, using PDS which are presumably
not occupied with anything more interesting and therefore a
"free" shot.

Prev: Re: [DS2] K'rathri armor designs - first SWAG Next: my web page of SSDs