Prev: Re: SGII Campaign Idea Next: "Tanks, for the Memories"

RE: Tank vision systems

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 20:44:38 +1000
Subject: RE: Tank vision systems

IR absorbing foam?

The IR 'footprint' would be left by the tracks overturning the earth,
leaving exposed soil a slightly different signature to the normal top
soil.
To cover this with foam would require an enormous volume?! Even with 23C
tech I think this would be an unlikely scenario to seriously contemplate
for
full movement. maybe it could be used for a couple of kms movement but
in
armoured warfare knowing that a troop of tanks is within a 10km square
is
good enough to despatch your hunter/killer teams!

Ah, another justification for GEV/hover; lower IR signature from
airborne/aerospace surveillance platforms?

Owen G