Prev: FMA Next: Re: 4th Heavy Beams

Re: 4th Heavy Beams

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 23:22:07 +0100
Subject: Re: 4th Heavy Beams

Tom Anderson wrote:

> > As you note, Oerjan may, but me as a mere mortal who dislikes SM's
> > to begin with....
>
> it seems he'd rather not (a wise man does not attempt the
impossible).

Actually I'd rather, but I have to admit at least temporary defeat in
this case :-/

Tom also wrote:

>might it be possible to work out what the damage per mass is
>assuming 100% hit rate, and then figure out what the hit rate would
have
>to be to make them balance with HBs?

Apart from the hit problem with the hit probabilities (not to mention
the probabilities to hit the target you want it to, rather than a BJ
<g>), the average damage per Mass from an SM also depends on the number
of PDSs defending against it and the launcher (SMR or SML, and if SML
the number of salvoes per launcher). The SMs are the only weapons in
FB1 which vary in size for the *same* number of fire arcs :-/

So, all in all I'd prefer to balance the HBs against beams and pulse
torps rather than against SMs. The increased chances of threshold
damage for a two-component system isn't too hard to calculate :-)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.