Prev: Re: (OT) Naming the Aliens Next: HBW debate

Re: [FT] Fleet Thrust

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 07:31:02 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Fleet Thrust

Laserlight wrote:

> > For links between stars or interstellar empires,
> > a cuboctahedron or "vector equilibrium" is useful.
> > This is due to close packing of spheres.
> > Look here for details:
> > http://www.clark.net/pub/nyrath/smap05d.html
> I'm not sure how my post metamorphosed from "Operational level
> rules" to "Close Packing of Spheres" quite so quickly.  Sigh.

	Playing around with it, I've found that you can draw a
	paper map showing a vector equilibrium grid that has
	three layers easily enough.
	alas, when you add the fourth layer, the new spheres are
	obscured by existing spheres.
	Even the helix map of GODSFIRE and HOLY WAR managed to
	do ten levels.

Prev: Re: (OT) Naming the Aliens Next: HBW debate