Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: Re: Sensors

Re: Tank vision systems

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:11:30 EST
Subject: Re: Tank vision systems

laserlight@quixnet.net writes:

<< In any event, we are NOT talking about TODAY--at least the
 Pro-Sensors side is not--we're talking about Two Hundred Years
 From Now.  If you have good sensors--Virtual Reality here!--why
 in heaven's name would you want to put your head out of the
 tank?	There's nothing mystical about the Mk 1 Eyeball.  Sure,
 you can blind any other sensor if you put your mind to it--so
 what?	A quick hit with a laser will blind your tanker just as
 thoroughly. >>

Whichs is why any soldier on the field will probably be wearing some
verion
of your "VR" head gear any way - but his option will still be to look
with
his eyes in a visiual spectrum - and the helmet will protect his eyes or

there will be nothing BUT blind people on a future battlefield.

There is nothing miraculouos about the eyeball - but it is more reliable
than
any electronic component that has been mentioned up to now  -  and
besides
the point of view I and the few who can lay some claim to knowing
something
about tank operations - is that the electronics increase your
information
processing and so does your eye and brain - BOTH are going to be
necessary
and one without the other is BAD - BUT if you can only have one, (again
barring a direct neural interface) then the eyeball (MkI) is the one I
would
choose to have.

Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: Re: Sensors