Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: Re: Tank vision systems

Re: Tank vision systems

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 23:24:01 +0100
Subject: Re: Tank vision systems

Roger Books wrote:

> > [Sensors]
> > > Sure, you might take out 15% of them with an artillery barrage.
> >
> > Somehow I think I'd exceed 15% with a mass barrage of supersticky
radar
> > reflecting paint.
>
> Then why aren't you using something that can take the tank out
instead?

1) Cost (paint may - note *may* - be cheaper than a normal warhead)

2) Point defence (easier to shoot down a short-range sublet than a
blob/cloud of fire)

3) Non-lethal weaponry (in peace-keeping ops or tense almost-war
situations you don't necessarily *want* to kill the tank since that'd
turn the cold war hot, only disable it so it has to stop doing whatever
mischief it is up to... or maybe you want the tank for yourself <g>)

Don't laugh at 3). It is under quite serious consideration (possibly
development, though I haven't heard anything solid about this yet)
already. Intended mainly for situations like the current Kosovo or
Bosnia situations, not full-blown wars.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Tank vision systems Next: Re: Tank vision systems