Prev: Re: Heavy Beams - 3rd Attempt Next: Tanks

Re: Heavy Beams - 3rd Attempt

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:29:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Heavy Beams - 3rd Attempt

>>OK but cumbersome. The less die rolling and figuring, the better. I
say
roll
>>1 die per class level, divided by 2 for total EPs, round down. Numbers
for
>>EP are virtually the same, statisitcally with half the dice and easier
>>figuring.

>The problem with this is that Class 1 BPS and Class 3 BPS both generate
the
>same amount of power. That's not right.

No:
Class 1 rolls 1 die, divided by 2 (avg 1.75 rounded to 1)
Class 3 rolls 3 die, divided by 2 (avg 5.25 rounded to 5)

As opposed to:
Class 1 rolls 2 beam dice (avg 1.6 rounds to 1)
Class 3 rolls 6 beam dice (avg 4.8 rounds to 4)

>> Beam Emitter: (# = EP emitter is capable of passsing)
>> Emitter 1		1 MASS	2 POINT COST
>> Emitter 2		1 MASS	3 POINT COST
>> Emitter 3		2 MASS	4 POINT COST
>> Emitter 4		2 MASS	6 POINT COST

> I can see this. Do people want this much granularity. 3 Classes works
fine;
> so does your proposal, but I'm trying to keep this simple.

Point well taken. Doesn't bother me too much though, as the rules apply
exacly the same, the complexity is only in the ship design phase, and
people
can ignore the odd numbers completely if they want. If we're considering
making hull a buy-per-box system (as in the current FT III thread with
St.
Jon's own cryptic words), then that level of complexity (in ship
_design_ at
least) is just around the corner.

OTOH I _still_ like the one-size-fits-all emitter best. Again,
simpler=better.

Noam

Prev: Re: Heavy Beams - 3rd Attempt Next: Tanks