Prev: Sci-fi game vehicle description/construction (was Re: Binary Propellant Guns) Next: RE: [SG2/DS2] Infantry Walker design rules

Re: Re:Tanks vs. APCs

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 00:27:21 GMT
Subject: Re: Re:Tanks vs. APCs

In message <200002012231.XAA12390@d1o903.telia.com> "Oerjan Ohlson"
writes:
> David Brewer wrote:
>
> > > However, the Israelis have also re-built lots of old tanks - the
> > > Merkava MkIII's aren't old - into pure APCs, just like Thomas
said.
> > > I don't remember which type they used either, but I can check
> > > that  tomorrow.
> >
> > Jane's Armour and Artillery will have the specs.
>
> I know :-) I have access to the on-line Jane's Defence Library at work
> but not from my home computer, thus the "can check tomorrow" part <g>

Jane's books are marvellous. Every so often I hit the public
library to rifle through one of the recent one. It's quite
remarkable what's out there on tanks... point-defence systems, ECM
devices and so on. Tuffers had it all first in DS1.

Always rememeber that Jane's started as a wargaming publication...

> >Centurions and T-62's, IIRC, increased in height. The troops have to
> >bundle out of a big hole in the top of the vehicle, suspiciously
> >turret-ring-sized.

[...]
> Couldn't find any mention of T-62s being used, though.

Ah well, that'll just be me grouping all old Russian tanks
together as "T-whatevers". Much more interesting to look at the
newer tanks.

[...]
> > It's a cheap way to produce an APC fleet
>
> I don't think the refits aren't that cheap compared to, say, buing
more
> M113s... but they are probably cheaper than replacing the extra
> casualties they'd take with lighter APCs.

I suppose, especially if you mean politically cheaper.

--
David Brewer