Prev: RE: SG2 Game in Los Angeles this Saturday Next: Re: Tanks vs. APCs

Re: Tanks

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:07:45 EST
Subject: Re: Tanks

Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca writes:

<< =============
 Which apparently some nations have done as some do use autoloader
 technology. Plus I think you underrate the capacity of modern sensors
(and
 those in the future). They'll spot better and faster than a human, and
 pre-planned evasion or engagement software engines will allow a rapid
 engagement of threats in a flexible manner with minimal human decision
loop
 intervention. As for retensioning etc, I'd have to agree there is a
 maintenance issue, but it seems to me MBTs as a whole should be getting
 easier to maintain (by plug and play and COTS components). They are
complex,
 but a broken gun guidance board isn't repaired in the field, its
 replaced-in-place and sent to the tech shop. As for sitting around
chatting
 on the phone, I don't see why a decent AI couldn't equally make that
 notification.

GEnerally speaking there is no replacement for the Mk I eyeball and
human
perception. There is one other thing - for the first 10 or 15 rounds in
an
engagement the human loader is FASTER!

Prev: RE: SG2 Game in Los Angeles this Saturday Next: Re: Tanks vs. APCs