Prev: Re: What is FMA? Next: RE: Round II: Rifles

Re: Militias and Rifles

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:59:41 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Militias and Rifles

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> That 20mm grenade isn't going to penetrate nearly the ammount of armor
as a LAW 66.
> Also, the burst radius of the 20mm grenades is going to be much less
then traditional
> handgrenades.  You aren't losing anything from the kit, only reducing
some types of
> ordance in favor of another.	The U.S. Army might be stupid enough to
eliminate
> handgrenades, etc., but if they do, they'll wish they hadn't.

You can't throw the hand grenade the same distance I can fire a 20mm.
The 40mm, tends to detonate on the ground (as does the 20 mm) putting
half its fragments and energy into the ground. The 20mm will detonate at

the range the target is at and screw you of your cover.

The essential function of the sight is to aim for the target, select it
with the recticle, selecte a 20mm, fire. The 20mm will be set for the
range of the target and when it gets to that range, it will burst. The
kill radius is smaller than 40mm but is more accurate and effective. Or
so the weapon principle goes. I've been scanning ATK's web site ever
month or so looking for updates on the testing phases.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: What is FMA? Next: RE: Round II: Rifles