Prev: Jericho [Was: Idiots' Guide to Wave Guns] Next: Re: [SG] On a different note

Re: M113 APCs and Things

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:16:34 -0500
Subject: Re: M113 APCs and Things

    OK, thanks to all who have tried to help me get this sorted out for
my Vietnam-era SGII scenario at Cold Wars.  Here is what I've decided to
do about the partially exposed crew and riders of armored vehicles.  I
couldn't find anything in the rules that covered this situation.  Which
doesn't mean they're not there, just that I couldn't find them.  At any
rate, I'm not going to allow targeting of the personnel.  A firing
action can take up to 5 minutes in SGII, so I'm going to assume that if
you're shooting at the vehicle with multiple shots, you're giving it a
good "hosing down."  One shot weapons probably aren't as accuate, so
targeting the personnel isn't going to much different from targeting the
vehicle itself.  If a hit occurs, minor or major, check for penetration
of the vehicle.  If penetration occurs, check for the occupants as per
the rules as written.  However, if it is a non-penetrating hit, that's a
potential hit, and you should check for penetration on all partially and
fully exposed passengers and crew as per step 3 of the fire against
dispersed targets (p.36).  For partially exposed personnel, shift the
armor die up one.  If you have some kind of a shield, shift up the armor
die, too.
    So, for the M113 ACAV vs RPG-2 situation we were discussing, a
non-penetrating hit will cause the commander to check for penetration of
the RPG-2 by rolling his armor die (d4) shifted up for being partially
exposed (d6) and shifted again for the gun shield (d8) vs the RPG-2
impact (d10), which may be doubled if it was a major hit.
    What do you think, sirs?

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"The world has no room for cowards.
 We must all be ready to toil, to suffer, to die.
 And yours is no less noble because no drum beats
 before you when you go out in your daily battlefields.
 And no crowds shout about your coming when you
 return from your daily victory or defeat."
 -Robert Louis Stevenson

Prev: Jericho [Was: Idiots' Guide to Wave Guns] Next: Re: [SG] On a different note