Prev: Mini Tournament Next: RE: SG II Paradrop, orbital drop

Re: Wave Gun Faqs.......

From: "Charles N. Choukalos" <chuckc@b...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:08:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Wave Gun Faqs.......

Noam,

Our group has been playing with wave guns........  And what we have soo
far is as follows:

1.  After all missles, ftrs, and ships move but before missle and ftr
combat is resolved..... we place and move the wave/nova gun/cannon
templates

(We felt that the original template sizes were too small... that the
costs in mass and disadvantages of both the wave and nova gun were too
high... no one really liked them... so we tried (2) avenues

1.  Double the size of the templates and keep the damage the same
-or
2.  Double the damage and keep the template the same.

Personally I liked the double the template deal... it makes the wave gun

good for cleaning up small ships/ftrs/missles .... however I have to
admit that I prefer the nova cannon to be really nasty (I liked the
double damage on the nova).  Our group is fractured too... we can't seem

to decide weither we prefer the double damage/same template or the
double
template same damage route....	Try both and see what you like... I'd
like to hear on what others percieve... I guess I'm biased... I keep
thinking of Star Blazer's nova cannon wiping out 1/2 the enemy fleet
everytime it fires....;) .
[end my aside]

So this way the template moves after everyone has moved for that turn...

it allows you to use these weapons to sweep ftrs/missles (usually the
ftrs catch on though... and with end burn its hard to really wipe out
the
fighters once your opponent has caught on).

2.  We play that you must have a firecon on a ship to fire any weapon.
Basically our "house/interpreted rule" is that no firecon or pds means
that you can't see squat other then navigational hazards and the base
level ecm/eccm that warships (aka ships with firecon or pds) can exert
makes them effectively invisable.  However we do rule that you can lay
mines without a firecon.  We rule that pds is defensive only and
provides
short range (we ~ 12" detection + normal navigation hazards... so you're

blind... aka military ships can sneak up on freighters with out them
really having a clue.... ).  And a fire con represents basic warship
sensors ect... and is the only item that can allow you to fire a weapon
(other then mines, or pds which have their own limited firecon built
in... ).  Anyway...... that's our interpretation of the firecon deal.  I

think that we rationalize that without a firecon you can't see squat so
why would you be shooting?

So am I clear.... or is my sleep depreivation state causing serious
miscommunication?

Chuck

Prev: Mini Tournament Next: RE: SG II Paradrop, orbital drop