Prev: Re: M113 APCs and Things Next: Re: Militias and Rifles

Re: Militias and Rifles

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:48:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Militias and Rifles

Thomas.Barclay wrote:

> ** Not solely. Training can make a difference as can how active they
are. If
> their militia frequently sends units to active duty, they'll be
better. If
> they spend a bunch of money training, they'll be better than they
otherwise
> would in urban/safe settings.

I'm assuming militia is last minute conscripts and/or volunteers and/or
police,
not reserves.  There training will be a shadow of reservesists.  How
many SWAT
teams train on close assaulting tanks or what to do if you come under
artillary
fire...

> ** The problem (IME) with the FN was it was heavy in a way that was
torque-y
> on you as you stood there - the center of mass was not close enough
in. The
> OICW, though heavier than I'd want it, looks like (I don't know for
certain)
> it moves the mass back in close to the body where the arm muscles can
do the
> work without straining. It may be far more manageable than its mass
> suggests.
> Or not. Time will tell.

I disagree.  Your'e talking a 50% increase in mass.  Even with better
balance,
it is not going to be easy.  In the bush without tansport, humping it
will be a
%^#$^$%^&^.  The good news is that combat tends to get the adrenaline
going...

IAS

Prev: Re: M113 APCs and Things Next: Re: Militias and Rifles