Prev: RPG-2? Next: SG II - Heavy Gear minis

Re: Copyright infringement (was Re: Could someone make me decals?)

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:55:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Copyright infringement (was Re: Could someone make me decals?)

>For the record.  I am not a copyright lawyer, I don't even play
one on
>TV.

I've had courses on copyright law (as part of a communications
MA, I'm not a lawyer either), although it was a while ago.  IIRC
according to laws in the US (as they were in 86-87, when I took
these courses), if you create an drawing which is sufficiently
similar to the original character  as to cause confusion that it
is the original character, then you are in violation.

Eg if I drew Snoopy, and published it, I'd never have a problem
because no one would possibly confuse it with the work of Mr.
Schultz--instead they'd be saying "Isn't that a hippo with
dermatitis?"

My professor said that there was no hard and clear definition of
where the line was crossed, it was largely a case of "Stand back
20 feet and squint".

Prev: RPG-2? Next: SG II - Heavy Gear minis