Prev: DS Quick Reference Sheet Next: Re: Full Thrust line drawings

Re: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:24:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games

>  One of the things that I have noticed in DS2 games is a
distinct lack of
>Sci-Fi flavor to most of the games (I suspect the same would
hold true for
>SG2). Most of the DS2 games could just as easily be
accomplished by WW2
>tanks and troops.

I have read, not played, DS2, and don't yet own SG2, but I have
a few suggestions ("all free and all worth what you paid for
them").

Let us consider what factors would be "more SF in flavor":
a) exotic terrain--battles on ice caps, giant redwood forests,
lunar surface, etc.  This could include different atmospheres
and gravity as well.
b) add battlefield drones/robots--not necessarily just the
Ogres, but size 1 scouts, for example.
c) aliens with a significantly different psychology, requiring
house rules for different morale and leadership effects
d) equipment which is not presently feasible such as combat
walkers

No doubt there are others, but the above parameters should get
you started.  If you play "Tanks and infantry mix it up in
Western Europe" then yes, it's going to feel like WW2.	So play
"combat walker company engagement  in the ice crevasses" or
"heroic human militia in hover-jeeps tackle Axorc cyberscorpion"
or something that changes one or more of the parameters.

I'm reminded of a musical instrument.  When you play certain
works on it, it's a violin; play others on it, it's a fiddle.
It's not the instrument that changes, it's how it's played.

Prev: DS Quick Reference Sheet Next: Re: Full Thrust line drawings