Prev: Re: Question... Next: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

Re: An apology for the unwashed

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:10:37 -0500
Subject: Re: An apology for the unwashed

Roger Books wrote:

> John Crimmins <johncrim@voicenet.com> wrote:
> > I hate to say it, but we've had the same experience.  That's why we
ended
> > up turning to ShockForce for SF skirmish, and why I'm going to be
adapting
> > it to a microarmor game at some point in the near future.  It plays
very
> > quickly, very easily, and after the first game you don't need to
reference
> > the rulebook at all.
>
> > With SGII, we kept having to stop play to look something up in the
> > rulebook.  It just slowed things down too much for us to really
enjoy it.

> I haven't played SGII yet but it looks to me like all the important
rules
> are on the included quick-reference card.  Is there really much
missing
> from that?

    That seems to cover all of the important points.  Realistically, you
need to
read through SGII chapters 1-9, and 14-15 (about 35 pages total).  You
can skip
sections in those chapters like "under-strength units," "field
defences,"
supreseion of vehicles and buildings," "panic," and "vehicle movement."
After
that, just set up some simple terrain and use scenario 1 "Recon in
Force" on p.
62.  That's pretty much how I started and after playing just a few
games, I only
needed to refer to the quick reference rules summary on occassion.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"The world has no room for cowards.
 We must all be ready to toil, to suffer, to die.
 And yours is no less noble because no drum beats
 before you when you go out in your daily battlefields.
 And no crowds shout about your coming when you
 return from your daily victory or defeat."
 -Robert Louis Stevenson

Prev: Re: Question... Next: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...