Prev: Re: Slow ships and big guns Next: DSIII, was Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local GameStore...

Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:14:34 -0500
Subject: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

At 11:56 AM 1/25/00 -0600, you wrote:

>*shaking head* First, I keep opening my mouth...
>
>Then, each time, I am diving into the bunker, quaking, waiting for the
>boom,
>but there's no boom. WHERE'S THE BOOM?!?!?
>
>Oh, well, here to try again...
>
>I think people are kind of missing my point; with FTII, you can be
playing
>after a reading a few pages. Even more so, I can write a few
paragraphs,
>with a few page refs to FTII, MT, and FB1, for specifics, upgrades, and
>keep Ground Zero profitable, ( ;->= ) and have just about anybody up
and
>playing within a few minutes.
>
>My experience with the other games has involved reading part of the
book,
>scanning to the next part, reading some more, scanning some more,
getting
>lost on previous points, getting bored, then just dropping the whole
thing.

I hate to say it, but we've had the same experience.  That's why we
ended
up turning to ShockForce for SF skirmish, and why I'm going to be
adapting
it to a microarmor game at some point in the near future.  It plays very
quickly, very easily, and after the first game you don't need to
reference
the rulebook at all.

With SGII, we kept having to stop play to look something up in the
rulebook.  It just slowed things down too much for us to really enjoy
it.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: Slow ships and big guns Next: DSIII, was Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local GameStore...