Prev: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast Next: RE: [DS2, SG2] Sci-Fi Flavor in Games

Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:33:43 +0000
Subject: Re: An apology for the unwashed Re: Heard at The Local Game Store...

>> I don't have DSII yet, however, I do have SGII.  One of the things
>> mentionned in SGII is that SGII makes use of lessons learned from
>> DSII.  Are chits one of the things learned?
>
>I don't know. The chits are used for damage resolution and are, IMO,
>quick and easy to use.
>
>> I like SGII, but I keep hearing about these chits and what a
>> nuisance they are in DSII.
>
>There's a very vocal minority which hates them. ;-)

Yes, the chit issue is a very love-it-or-hate-it thing. I like it, and
think it works well and easily (and agree with the comments below...),
which is why it is in the game. As we've seen recently, the people who
don't like something tend to be, in general, a bit more vocal than those
who like and accept it - I guess that's basic human nature. If we ever
get
to the point of doing a DS3 (NO, don't start asking when it'll be
out!!!!!
<grin>) we'll probably do some serious market research as to whether the
chits stay or go

>> Has anyone done DSII sans chits or chit emulation?
>
>Several people. The fact that they involve computer programmes or
>large tables rather proves the point that the chits give a wider
>range of results than can easily be acheived with simple dice rolls.

Yes. You can use die rolls for a simplified game, or you can use dice
and
complex charts (or computer simulations) to simulate the chits
accurately;
Steve has hit the nail on the head  with this - the chits can give a
very
wide range of quite detailed results with (IMO) relatively little
hassle.
Guess this one will run and run......

Jon (GZG)