Prev: Re: Sculpting Miniatures Next: Fwd: staci & mark Drake: DS2 ideas

FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 09:54:26 EST
Subject: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

In a message dated 1/23/00 2:01:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-gzg-digest@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU writes:

> From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
>
>  WARNING! There are quite a few bits marked <sarcasm> in this post!
>
>  I'm sorry, Glen, but I'm beginning to get a distinct impression that
>  you have decided that your opponent's designs are unbeatable and that
>  you don't want to try anything which might shake you both out of that
>  belief. I hope this impression is false, but it - and your tone of
>  writing, as well - has coloured this reply.
>
>  Glen Bailey complained:
>
>  > btw, we allow firing out the rear arc.
>
>  Even when you used the main drive (if you didn't it's allowed
anyway)?

Yes.  How does it throw off the balance?  If he can fire out the rear
then
I can, too.  And I do.

My last post came about from frustation since I just came from a night
of combat.  I lost twice, but then my partner takes one of my designs
and
doesn't do what it is designed to do.  He runs off away from the area
defense
ship I was running and gets toasted by 6 salvos.   The second had my
12 MT missiles miss his movement 1 ships.  I think I didn't lead him
enough.
I must really suck at maneuvering.  :)
In the third game it was Steve, who was on my side for a change, who's
BB
got toasted by SMs because he got split from his psuedo-BJs and my ADFC
(a Nova Cannon split our force, ours split theirs up, too).  I couldn't
help
but
smirk thinking "about time" and "now you know how it feels".  The game
ended early so could not tell who would have won with what's left.

I admit it.  "Standard" designs can't beat his.  I've been toying with
"weird" designs (i.e., a 16 needle beam ship).	I'll try the
massive 3 arc C2s and roll if necessary (I keep forgetting about this).
It doesn't fit with any minis but I'll call it an Ohka.  But first I
came
up with another idea: 2 cruiser-sized 4 Needle Beam ships and a small
Nova Cannon ship plus whatever with remaining points.  I'll go for the
drives and once hit then just line up the NC from outside 36" and pop
him every turn.  He'll probably be able to FTL away unless I want to
modify my needle attack and attempt both the maneuver and FTL
drives.  This brings up a question:

If two hits by needle beams are scored on the manuever drive in
one volley does the drive get reduced to 0 or just to 1/2 as if hit
once?

><sarcasm>
I>'ve played Full Thrust for the past six years. What do you think,
>could I possibly have faced big, overgunned ships occasionally?
></sarcasm>

I'm humbled.  I've been playing for 6 months, once or twice a week.  :)

>If you can, maneuver to end your movement in the spot he occupied the
>previous turn - it is guaranteed to be in his rear arc, which cuts his

*sigh*	why didn't I ever think of this?  I bow to the Master.
I'm still studying your Maneuver 101 class assignments and doing
the "lab" work (or is that "field study"?).   :)

Glen

Prev: Re: Sculpting Miniatures Next: Fwd: staci & mark Drake: DS2 ideas