Prev: Battlefield Earth Next: RE: Battlefield Earth

Re: over sized walkers

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:53:40 +0100
Subject: Re: over sized walkers

Scott Case wrote:

> > > While i am on the subject MDC's are too cheap as they cost
> > > 2 more points per size than HVC's and they have more range and do
> > >more dammage.
> >
> >Don't forget the power requirement. [snip] ...that's another 1-2
points
> >per size for and MDC on a tracked or wheeled vehicle.
> >
> >'Course, if you only use big/fast GEVs, or grav tanks, you have the
> >power to spare anyway... but if you have that kind of technology,
> >there's no real reason why you should use primitive chemichal-energy
> >weapons anyway <g>
>
> Interesting comments, but I have an observation that kinda flys in
the
> face of that.

Your experience doesn't fly in the face of what I'm saying. It
*confirms* what I'm saying - ie, that the MDC costs more than its
visible price tag suggests :-)

> We had this guy who built a 'soviet' style armor force from a mass of
toy
> tanks he bought a few years ago at a Toys-Are-Us. His tanks were dirt

> simple slow tracks with CFEs and mounting HKPs with basic fire
> control. He simply outnumbered my side by a huge margin (I had a
> company of fairly hightech MBTs with MDCs and superior fire cons).

You must've used more armour and/or better transmission, though -
otherwise they wouldn't have been that much more expensive.

> My tanks nailed his at nearly
> 1.5:1... but I was slaughtered by the sheer mass of tanks (which made

> me grumble about superior fire cons not being so superior...)

Depends on  the range you're fighting at. The Superior FCs have a much
bigger advantage over the Basics at long range than at short - which is
quite realistic, of course. (Desert Storm, anyone? <g>) 'Course, if you
can't roll anything but 1s on your to-hit dice

> As for the MDCs- I think the price tag for them is pretty high! :)

Which was exactly my point :-) But if you have already decided on HMT
power for other reasons, there's no reason to use HKP instead of MDC
<g>

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Battlefield Earth Next: RE: Battlefield Earth