Prev: Re: Simultaneous fire [was UK/US in balkans (as the UN)] Next: Beth's Poll

Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

From: "We have the parachute, yes?" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:02:11 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

Geez, I go offline for a day and a half and y'all swamp the mail!
Wow...wonder
what monday will bring...

>>  around here.  My favorite two answers to this type of mildly-mobile
bases
>> are
>>  the SMs/fighters approach or the out-beaming approach.  Oerjan laid
it all
>>  out, you can buy more dice with more restricted arcs and use your
>> maneuvering
>>  thrust to keep him in arc.	Concentrate fire.  Stay out of range of
his
>C1s
>>  while keeping him in range of your C2s.  Overwhelm him from a
distance.
>Of
>>  course, in a campaign setting, your fast fleet would dodge right by
his
>> hulks
>>  and attack the real target.
>>

>It's not that easy to keep ships in narrow arcs when close.  I've
designed
>360 degree all class-2 beam ships, so I can outbeam him.  One was used
>once by another and it dished out some damage.  We still lost due to
other
>factors.  I don't use them cause it's cheesy.

Save yourself some points, and get 50% more C2s by designing ships New
Israeli style: use off-set arcs (ie ALL beams are either F/FS/AS or
F/FP/AF). So instead of having 360s, you buy 50% more C2s and put them
all in the same off-set arc. Then you can either:

1) circle around him like a wagon train, or

2) do a pass, turn around, do another pass, but roll your ships (see
also
FleetBook page 5, left column, at top: "Rolling Ships") to put him back
in arc again.

Is the 'all-beams are off-set' cheesy? Well....your call. Noam doesn't
think so.  ;-)

Mk
-
"Now, please notify the Captain that I am here. I need to meet with him
and
the rest of the command staff ASAP. I...assume my usual quarters in the
brig
are available. I've grown so attached to the place."
				       -  Bester, 'Into The Fire',
Babylon 5

Prev: Re: Simultaneous fire [was UK/US in balkans (as the UN)] Next: Beth's Poll