Prev: Re: over sized walkers Next: RE: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

From: Sindre Cools Berg <cobos@s...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:20:00 +0100
Subject: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

GBailey@aol.com wrote:

> Someone suggested using small ships to make a high speed pass,
> to either 1) needle beam his drives, 2) knock out his "bonzai jammers"
> and then launch missiles.  I see this as a waste of points.
>
> 1) against any large ship, especially with us, 4 FC is not uncommon.
> So he'll destroy 4 tiny ships with his first ship.  The next 4 with
> the next big ship if the fleets are large enough.  Figuring on a
> 1 hit point ship with its special weapon, mass of 6 or 7, costing
> about 25, means to have any chance you need 8 (or more).
> There's goes 200 points.  *poof*  gone.  If I have 1500 points it
> might be worth to have a few more.  But I see it as a high risk
> adventure with slim chance of succeeding (but I did design a
> mass 7 suicide needle beamer).

The point is here is have you played the ancient game of snakes ? :)
There
the theoretical best idea is to go cover the entire play area with u
turns
at the end of the play area and cover it entirely that way...(Wheee I'm
getting side tracked here...)
What I was trying to say is that you have your small ships go back and
fourth gaining speed so that when you've got enough speed you can get
all
the way into him and get him with your sub packs or beams or whatever...
And personally I suggest using frigate or so sized ships, possibly with
enough of them to swamp your opponents FC... (And of course your big
ships
should be there too...otherwise what else do you want to use to pull
away
his fire...) With only a single round or so before you're out of range
you
should be able to kill his banzai's and get your own ships repaired and
then simply strike him really really hard with standard SML's ..
That's what I would do anyway..

> 2) Fast ships don't gain any defenses from speed.  So instead
> you're wasting valuable real estate (mass) for some maneuverability
> that probably won't matter due to point 1 above.  Once you're within
> range of his guns and you don't have your biggies there then what
> else is he going to shoot at?

Of course who said you can't play unorthodox.... :) Make thrust 2 ships
and try to gain around 25 in speed...that way you get heavier payload
and
still lots of speed.. :) Though this isn't probably very smart...

> Also, someone said to attack from two different sides.  Why?
> What's the difference?  He can still fire at anything with everything,
> after accounting for FCs.  I have done best from the front or
> rear arcs since some of his weapons don't have arcs there (FX and
> RX arc styles from SFB) but it is hard to stay in those arcs when
> you don't know which way he is going to turn (can't we see the
> rudder? <grin>).

I still understand why you don't make a simply head on run with 1 arc
3's
all in the front and 1 in speed...with his multi-arc beams he'll be
seriously under beamed compared to you...It will be dead boring but
you'll
make your point...

> anyway, I got some new designs to try out.. thanks for all the
> advice so far.
>
> Glen

This is just my 2 credits..

Sindre
--
All Birthright fans try the new and now
OFFICIAL BR Fan site: www.birthright.net

Prev: Re: over sized walkers Next: RE: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs