Prev: Nice work John C! Next: Re: FT: tactics vs. a slow mover with high arcs

Re: over sized walkers

From: "Scott Case" <tgunner@h...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 07:57:23 PST
Subject: Re: over sized walkers

>Just wondering what comments peoples had on size 6,7 veichles and
walkers.
>My main concern is they are too easy to kill with tank >mounted guns
>although i do agree they should be easy to hit but To >give them any
chance
>of surving a tank hit you have load them down >with stealth wich make
them
>cost about 1000-1500 points.

Which is why you will probably never see *huge* walker type vehicles on
any
battlefield! I remember an interesting comment about mecha in an old RPG

called Living Steel (a sci-fi game with a realistic twist). There was a
short background write-up that had a couple of officers and engineers
talking about a new 30' tall mech- the engineer pointed out that the
mecha
had as much armor as a standard battlesuit- and the officer wirely
pointed
out that it was way more visible too! That is the problem with
mecha/walkers- they simply are far more visible than other conventional
units and WILL attract tons of fire. You have to conpensate for this by
giving them extensive defenses... which makes you wonder why you're
pouring
all of these resourses into one unit instead of several smaller units.

The only way to get around this is to do away with the points and build
what
you want and field it as you please! Otherwise, I think Dirtside is
giving a
fair and realistic treatment to what is really a VERY unrealistic unit
type.

Prev: Nice work John C! Next: Re: FT: tactics vs. a slow mover with high arcs