Prev: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad Next: Re: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

RE: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:10:15 +1100
Subject: RE: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

Increase the speed of your firing passes.  Burn in at velocity 14-18 &
he'll
only get 1 long range turn.
Using 5-arc class 3s are costing him weapon mass, so for every one of
his
class 3s you get 4 3-arc class 2s. (I can't believe I'm saying this...)
How about sending in 2 separate waves from opposite sides?  Multiarc
weapons
can only fire in 1 direction at a time, so 1 wave will get free shots.
Another option is to increase the number of destroyers you field.  Mount
them with 5-6 submunition packs each & send them in at velocity 20+.  15
beam die ignoring screens is a lot of re-rolls & damage...
Or try removing all your offensive weapons & load your ships with
nothing
but torpedo & attack fighters.
In a 1500 point game, you should be able to get about 10-15 squadrons on
the
board, which not even the best point defence can stop them all.

Or the last option is easy: stop playing against him in design-your-own
battles.  Only play him with FTFB ships.

The only reason his ships are so powerful, is that he is using mobile
space
stations against your mobile force.  Drop him into an asteroid field or
other terrain & see what happens.  Your mobility will allow you to hide
behind asteroids until you get close & with a more balanced weapon fit,
you
should be level in firepower, even with the higher drives.

Neath Southern Skies - http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~denian/
[mkw] Admiral Peter Rollins; Task Force Zulu
[pirates] Prince Rupert Raspberry; Base Commander

Although