Prev: Re: [?] Matrix Next: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad

Re: UN Fleet Size: (was Nominal Taxation Rates)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:54:33 +1000
Subject: Re: UN Fleet Size: (was Nominal Taxation Rates)

G'day Alan,

>I never thought of them as a token force, more the case that there are
>Command and Control problems due to their forces coming from a wide
>variety of backgrounds. A UN Admiral (on secondment from the ESU)
>commanding a Commodore (on secondment from the NAC) is likely to cause
>problems at certain times. Even an IAS Commodore commanding a mostly
PAU
>crewed squadron would find difficulties every day.

Due to my blissfully ignorant state of military command structure (I
usually leave it to Derek to scream/harumph/laugh loudly if I wander too
far off course on the topic), how does mixed command structure happen
today
for these things (which is as good a place as any to start for how the
UNSC
does it)? You obviously get lumps (platoons, battalions whatever) of
troops
from the same nation, but I guess the commanders are more
higgledy-piggledy
nation-wise as you go up?

>I, for one, figured that the relatively small OUDF "regular fleet" (as
>opposed to the much larger semi-civilian patrol fleet) spends a lot of
>its time in company with UN vessels.

Same for the IAS and many of the other minor nations (epsecially those
with
their major holdings within the Inner Systems).

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [?] Matrix Next: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad