Prev: Re: Errr. Pardon? Next: Re: Ship designation decals, suggestions...

Re: Make Your Own Decals!

From: Thomas Pope <tpope@c...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:14:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Make Your Own Decals!

Scott Spieker wrote:

>     The ideal situation is owning an ALPS MD-1000 to a 5000 series
printer,
> you have all you need to make professional decals.  If you only have a
> deskjet or bubble jet no big sweat - just use a copier.  If you don't
mind
> black only decals, you can use a laser printer.  Deskjets and bubble
jet
> owners can use a copy machine.

I've also heard of using various kinds of spray fixatives to seal the
ink to the
decal paper.  Apparently it doesn't effect the decal film itself, but
keeps the
ink from running off.

If anybody's interested, I'll try to dig up more information.

>     There are several companies that sell 8.5"x11" decal sheets for
you to
> print on.  As mentioned above, color is best done with the ALPS MD
series
> printers (they are dry ink cartridges), where as a deskjet's ink will
run
> when it is submerged.  However fused toner is not effected by water so
no
> problem.
>
>     Some of the companies that make decal paper for sale are:

Another alternative (the paper we are going to use) is Tango Papa
Decals.  This
gentleman makes his own decal paper, and it comes quite highly
recommended on
the ALPS decals mailing list.  Plus the prices are some of the best I've
seen.
Here's a clip out of an email he sent me:

BakerTom@aol.com wrote:

>    My clear decal paper is $0.60 per sheet.  I also have white which
is $0.85
> per sheet.  There is a minimum order of 30 sheets (any combo you
want).
> Shipping is $5 (Priority Mail) for up to 100 sheets.	For 101 - 200
sheets
> the shipping charge is $7.  If you would like to order a sample pack
(2
> white/2 clear) the price is $5 (shipping included).
>
>   To order, please send me your order along with a check or MO,
payable to
> "Tom Prestia", for the total due to:
>
> Tom Prestia
> 3103 Broadway Road
> Easton, PA 18040

As an aside, most of the colors you can print on an inkjet (or an ALPS
for that
matter) are semi transparent, so you 'll either need to underpaint the
aread of
the miniature white or just print them on white decal film.

...and finally, the website of ALPS

http://www.alpsusa.com/new/

Tom

--
Thomas Pope
Human Computer Interaction Institute

Prev: Re: Errr. Pardon? Next: Re: Ship designation decals, suggestions...