Prev: (FT) NAC 23rd Raider Group Next: Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers...

Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers...

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:25:14 +0100
Subject: Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers...

Roger Books wrote:

>>WHo'd argue - for pin point landing support who can beat the
>>battlewagon. When you loose 9 16" rounds there is no counter measure
>>the enemy can utilize, there is not pilot in danger and a ton of
explosives >>will do wonders  to alleviate the difficulties of
amphibious assaults. >>We're gonna miss the  New Jersies someday real
badly.

> Oh horse hockey.
>
> Would you rather have an airplane taking out that tank or an area
> affect, maybe hit the tank barrage from a BB?

Nowadays there's something called Precision-Guided Munitions, you
know...

How many EFP-spitting submunitions can you cram into a 16"-shell? There
are 2 in a 6"-shell, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could put at
least 20-24 such subs into a 16" one.

The only reason I can see why the US never developed PGMs for the heavy
guns of their battleships is that the USN has fallen in love with its
carriers. Now it seems to be too late, of course.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: (FT) NAC 23rd Raider Group Next: Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers...