Prev: Re: Starship Troopers Next: Re: Starship Troopers

Re: Starship Troopers

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 16:57:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Starship Troopers

Popeyesays@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/7/00 4:54:37 AM Central Standard Time,
> tony@glassghost.com writes:
>
> << UK list members might be interested to know that Sky One are
supposed to
>  be showing the SST animated series starting next Monday at 7:30 am -
set
>  those VCRs now !
>
>  (this info' came via Steve Blease of the SFSFW) >>
>
> is it more of Vanderhoven's crap, or is it Starship Troopers?

You must have missed the earlier dissuasions on this. SST the series
(Roughnecks: The Starship Trooper chronicles) is some of the best SF out
there.
It's more like the book with power armo,  and what not but also takes
the best
parts of the movie concept, primarily the concept of various bug types
like
plasma bugs hoppers and what not. There are some changes. For instance
Carl
Jenkins is assigned to the roughnecks as the teep. Flores is still a
chick (and
hot). Effects are way better than anything out there in the CGI
series-world
today (Voltron, Beast Wars, War planets etc), the writing is very good,
relationships between characters excellent and well developed and good
stories.
The SF is hard too, as if some stargrunt or dirtside curmudgeon was
doing the
development. Basically it gets nearly everything right. (Though it is
NOT a
direct port of the book.)

For some freak reason I have been getting the series on my local cable,
(It's
still in production only half the episodes are done) perhaps because
I've never
won the lotto or anything and the Universe usually tries to achieve
equilibrium
by one means or another.

One of the prime reasons Verhoven claimed for no power armor was teh
thing
about not being able tos e ethe actors faces but this series proves that
was
just a load of horseshit. ALso there's lots of great tech. If the humans
run
into a major problem, fuck it, pop a nuke. And teh infnatry weapons are
actually lethal and well though out. Orbital drops, Walkers, Ortillery
and
fighter combat, various interesting environments etc etc. It's all
there.

Los

Prev: Re: Starship Troopers Next: Re: Starship Troopers