Prev: Re: Basing figures Next: Re: TANSTAAFL

Re: TANSTAAFL

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 12:36:16 -0600
Subject: Re: TANSTAAFL

Hello All:

	A few months ago, Aint it Cool News reported that the guy who
wrote the
oringinal script for film version of "The Puppet Masters" (that was
before the suits got ahold of it) was working on a screen play for "The
Moon is a Harsh Mistress."

	As much as I would love to see a film version of "TMiaHM, I have
my
reservations about the project being undertaken in Hollywoods current
creative climate. (or rather lack thereof)  Science fiction cinema these
days is controlled by two elements: 1)Action, 2) Special Effects.
Although there are quite a few riot and battle scenes described in
"TMiaHM" as well as some great FX potential, it is the plot and the
characters that Heinlein presented that drove the novel.  As I'm sure we
all know, thoughtful sci-fi dosen't sell in Hollywood--especially one
with some very controversial viewpoints.  It could very well degenerate
into another "Paul Veerhoven's Starship Troopers:" A watered-down,
ultra-violent, T&A spectacular that has little if anything to do with
the orginal novel.

	However, I could be wrong.  Hollywood may want to take a chance
with a
thought-provoking sci-fi movie with good acting and a decent plot.   And
maybe I'll flap my arms and fly to Venus--either that, or find a
girlfriend.

--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

Fall not in love, therefore, it will stick to your face. Gracefully
surrender the things of youth: the birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan - and
let not the sands of time get in your lunch. Hire people with hooks. For
a good time, call 606-4311, ask for Ken.  Take heart in the deepening
gloom that your dog is finally getting enough cheese. And reflect that
whatever misfortune may be your lot, it could only be worse in
Milwaukee.

						--Deteriorata
						National Lampoon

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: Re: Basing figures Next: Re: TANSTAAFL