Prev: Re: Basing figures Next: Re: Basing figures

Re: [FT] Miniatures (The GZG Digest V1 #640)

From: "W. Nitsche" <bnitsche@u...>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:05:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Miniatures (The GZG Digest V1 #640)

From: Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us>
Subject: Re: [FT] Miniatures

On 29-Dec-99 at 21:21, Laserlight (laserlight@quixnet.net) wrote:

>> Seriously, the only question I have is about the way the mounting
>> holes on the ship are too big for the plastic stands.  I could just
>> epoxy them permanently onto the bases, but I'm sure someone has a
more
>> elegant solution?
>>
>Drill them out a bit more (being careful not to go all the way through
>as I did on one), epoxy in a piece of small square brass tubing.  Put
>a piece slightly larger on the base and epoxy it.  Removable bases. :)

The way I've done it is to fit one end of a brass tube into the ship and
epoxying a piece of square tubing onto the end that fits into the base.
I'm wondering if the all square post may be stronger -- which is harder
bend, a square tube or a circular tube?  Any structural engineers out
there? ;)  I mainly did it this way so I didn't have to remount my minis
which had the pewter post replaced by brass tubing and glued into the
base.

As for drilling through, I've done that as well.  Word to the wise -- do
not drill with your thumb on the opposite side you're drilling from.
Puncture wound are uncomfortable.  That said, mounting the rod just
below
the surface you drilled though and then epoxying in the hole works
really
well.  I've yet to have to resculpt it.

Note -- (I _think_ I was the original poster of this solution when
packing
solutions came up 6 months or so ago, but it seemed such an obvious one
that I'm not comfortable taking credit for it).

A temporally displaced		Bill Nitsche (bnitsche@u.washington.edu)
	hobbit			Oceanography, University of Washington

Prev: Re: Basing figures Next: Re: Basing figures