Prev: [ot] you can find ALMOST anything on ebay... Next: RE: SG II: Close Assault

Re: Medtech 2180 a la Fulton

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:06:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Medtech 2180 a la Fulton

> >** Clone them at 20. If we have a high level of anagathic tech, we
> >could well have a clone soldier useful for 60 years... Make two or
> >three when a promising soldier is twenty, with all development of
> >muscles and such and brain pathways, make sure the mapping is
> >reasonably accurate, and cold sleep them. Then revive and overlay as
> >required. Periodic update periods would help lessen the transition
> >shock.
>
> One thing though OK, explain one tiny detail to me here, skipping the
> ethics of creating virgin brain clones, how the hell do you get one?
People
> who are cerebrally dead waste away in beds in hospitals all around the
> world; microcephalic foetus have a 99.99% abort rate etc etc. So how
the
> heck are you going to get a clone to the size of a 20 year old (even
if you
> do it damn fast) without it having any cerebral function at all? Guess
this
> is another one I'm going to have to put down to future science hey?

Especially since the establishment of neural pathways have nothing to do
with
cloning. regardless of what age they are. those come from
doing/experience.
Unless they are confusing cloning (where you grow a new person from
scratch,
makes no differnce at what age you sample the original it could be 90. )
with
replicating ( where you would, say, put Mr Spok through the teleporter
and save
a back up of him and rematerialize it so that you have two of exactly
the same.

> >** Sort of my point. Imagine what they were talking about in 1880 and
> >what we could do in 1980... I'll bet they would not even have come
> >close.... we're in the same boat. How many things thought impossible
> >would we have actually made easy? How many things they thought were
> >rules or laws of the way humans were put together have we broken and
> >ground into the dirt? A fair few.

This argument always gets tossed out in these types of debates like it's
teh
final word which should end all skepticism. .Of course in 1945-55 it was
a given
in most all sci-fi that we would be doing all sorts of wazoo stuff in
1990-2001
like flying pan am clippers to space for business/vacation, having a
functioning
moon base (with Martin Landau in control), operating a the vaunted
International
Rescue,  blah blah blah, your arguments are just as easily turned on
their head
with the same number of supporting arguments that we can look back and
laugh at
what we though was possible and we're still no where near accomplishing.
In fact
it seems that most sci fi or future history prediction seems to be
wildly off
base.

Los

Prev: [ot] you can find ALMOST anything on ebay... Next: RE: SG II: Close Assault