Prev: RE: Air Superiority Boardgame (ot & was: Re: Stealth) Next: RE: [FT] Screen Value

[FT] Screen Value

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:09:09 -0500
Subject: [FT] Screen Value

At the risk of starting an old thread...

I am looking at an experimental species that has ablative shields. That
is
screens that provide a set amount of protection each TURN until the
generator is destroyed.

Thus, my question: What would be a fair value for the shields to
provide? I
want the  cost and protection to be equivalent to human screens. I am
not so
concerned about the mass.

My initial thought was about 3pts per level. This has the correct feel
when
it is one ship on one ship. However, I have seen screens stop MUCH more
than
that in a turn when attacked by a beam-heavy fleet. Especially when
multiple
ships attack a single ship in a turn.

I had thought about 3pts per attacking ship, but rejected this on two
reasons:
	1. Hard to justify
	2. Seems Cheesy
	3. Makes a ship virtually immune to small ships with 1 or 2
weapons.

Thanks in advance,

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
-----

Prev: RE: Air Superiority Boardgame (ot & was: Re: Stealth) Next: RE: [FT] Screen Value