Prev: Re: Martyrs and Atrocities Next: Re: GDP/Pop conversion and Ghurkas in 2180s

GDP/Pop conversion and Ghurkas in 2180s

From: Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay <kaladorn@h...>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:56:09 -0500
Subject: GDP/Pop conversion and Ghurkas in 2180s

Someone had come up with some idea that (based on the fleet lists),
their was a ratio of population  or GDP (which is probably a function of
population) to FT points in active fleets.

Does anyone have this conversion factor, or an idea what it ought to be?
I'm interested now that I've finally started work on my Ghurka stuff for
the Reformed Ghurkas of the 2180s. Nyrath has generously gifted me with
a wee system for them, and I wanted to get an idea what type of a
self-defence fleet they might have.

I assume:
1) The fleet points are being correlated to GDP
2) GDP is a function of pop, but with a multiplier to reflect
tech/resources/cultural benefits/etc.

That is, a low pop place with good laws supporting innovation may have a
high prosperity and high GDP, or contrariwise a high pop place with
restrictive law, poor resources, or poor business climate may have a
crappy GDP. I suspect GDP directly controls fleet sizes, so this means
if you are large AND rich, your kick @$$. If you are just large, that
isn't bad, nor is being just rich. If you are small and poor, you'll
have something, but it won't be much.

So I'm figuring it'll be a small force. I have to work some pop numbers
forward from the Exodus date to give me a feel for the order of
magnitude I'm working on.

Interestingly, for those who follow those things, Ghurkas have worked
for Britain, India, Brunei, and Singapore. The original discussion
suggested by some was that they were ESU, yet Jon has them fighting for
the NAC. The truth I suspect (as I will write it, and thus of course it
must be the absolute truth <*grin*>) will be roughly as follows:

At some point, Britain (as the NAC) will decide the Nepalese are about
to fall under ESU hegemony. This will not sit well. However, it is
probably historically unavoidable. Nepal is a small, crowded, and
resource depleted country. But, the NAC with UN assistance, will provide
a relatively otherwise unpromising but habitable colony world for the
Nepalese to escape to and some very slapdash transport to get there
(good intentions, crappy budget). Some of the Nepalese will leave with a
branch of their royal family.

So, we'll have some of the Nepalese still in Nepal (easing the strain on
their polluted and overcrowded land) and some on a similarly resource
poor planet. Those in Nepal will eventually fall under ESU dominion,
still providing troop formations to India and Singapore. These will be
the ESU Ghurkas. Those who left will reform formations which will be one
of their main methods of generating revenue (traditional for Nepalese to
send home money - it is their 4th highest source of income at present I
believe after tourism, industry, and trade). But these, like the NI,
will not be classical mercenaries. They will still serve with a limited
number of employers. They will serve the British Crown, the IF Sultan of
Brunei, and perhaps also with a few others (have to think about this -
maybe the UN whom they owe for helping them out of Nepal in the first
place). So, we'll have Ghurkas where we traditionally have.

However, there will be one hard and fast rule - they will not take arms
against their brethren. So IF Ghurkas will not fight NAC Ghurkas. NAC
Ghurkas will not fight ESU Indian or Singaporian Ghurkas. They will
attack other troop formations, but they will not fight each other. They
still realize their kinship and their common ancestry. And there is
probably a clandestine movement funded from their new offworld home to
free Nepal from the ESU's dominion. In the meanwhile, their troops will
continue to take ESU coin and funnel it back into Nepal to help bring
the modern technologies in to help clear up two centuries of poorly
planned and environmentally unsound industrial growth.

Anyway, this is where I'm going, and I think it creates a situation
where the British (NAC) crown still has 3 RGR and the Indian (ESU)
forces still have their units, as does the Sultan of Brunei. And it'll
make for an interesting twist to provide some to the UN. Next time
someone decides to shoot at UN Peacekeepers, like some of the Bosnian
combatants, they may find the Ghurkas suddenly show up for a visit....

I will post some of this work when it reaches a more advanced stage. I
plan to build their fleet mostly out of NAC handoffs with the
occaisional other vessel (bought surplus or acquired by battle). It
won't be big, but it'll be enough to ensure the security of their new
off-planet home. After all, who wants to tackle a world with few
resources and legendary warriors? Few, and most of them won't be around
to try twice. And woe betide any raider ship unlucky enough to be
boarded by Ghurkas.... the image of Subadhar Major Lalabadhur Gurung
making a Powered Armour Close Assault with augmented strength driving a
shipmetal kukri through enemy vacc suits is enough to make one want to
be very friendly with these quiet, polite, extremely dangerous mountain
men. ;)

Have a good holiday, fellow List-ites. Do the Aussies on the list have
to hang their stockings upside down to prevent the presents from falling
out? Does Santa use Reindeer down there or is the sleigh pulled by
mutant Wallabys (One with a Red Nose from too many Lagers)? Instead of
Elves does Santa have bio-engineered intelligent Drop Bears? <ho ho ho!>
<Runs for the cover of a Canadian Winter and his reinforced, sandbagged
Igloo....>

To all, be they in Oz, the USA, Canada, the UK, or Europe (or any other
list destination I've missed): Season's Greetings, and a Safe Holiday
Season to all!

Tom B.
"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Homepage: http:\\fox.ntsn.ca\~kaladorn\index.html
ICQ: 58316640 (Tomin8tor)

"Ah. I see. Inform me if there is any change in his condition."
<hangs up the phone>
"How is he?"
"He's dead."
-- The movie Top Secret

Prev: Re: Martyrs and Atrocities Next: Re: GDP/Pop conversion and Ghurkas in 2180s