Prev: Medtech 2180, III Next: Re: [FT] Jump limits

RE: Mini Transporting

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 06:54:19 -0500
Subject: RE: Mini Transporting

Yes, I must admit that I have never tried to transport them on a plane
or
across a border into another country. And I get looks when I pull the
case
out. ;-)

However, at $10us, a case that holds 50+ minis was a great buy. And if I
ever get around to cutting the foam, I could probably fit 75 miniatures
in
it. However, it does work best for Full Thrust or other large
miniatures. I
tried to use one for DS2 last year and it did not hold the miniatures in
place well enough.

[OT]
  I did have an experience with transportation one time. In addition to
my
miniature gaming, I play Disc Golf. What is disc golf? Well, just about
what
it sounds like. It is played with a throwing disc (Frisbee) on a course
of
"holes" (9 or 18). The holes are actually specially designed targets. A
post
about 3' high with a basket 1/2 the way up. On the top is a ring
supported
by spokes from the center pole. From the ring hangs chains. When you
throw
the disc into the chains, the disc is supposed to fall into the basket.
They
even have discs specifically designed for use with the game. Different
discs
fly different depending on design (equivalent to Driver, Putter, Iron).
  Now to the transportation part: a couple of years ago, I went on
vacation.
The place I was going to fly to had a course that I wanted to play, so I
took my discs. Everything went well until the bag of discs went through
the
x-ray. The discs showed a VERY solid black on the x-ray. The inspector
quickly pulled the bag aside. He carefully opened it and removed the
discs
one by one. He carefully checked the inside of each disc. He then
emptied
the bag of the rest of its contents (pencils, score cards, towel, etc.).
He
then sent the empty bag back through the x-ray (all clear). He then sent
single disc through (VERY black). Puzzled he looked up at me. I
explained
that the manufacturers add magnesium to the discs to increase density (I
would not have known, except a local Pro had forewarned me). This seemed
satisfy the inspector who through the bag back together and sent me to
repack it.
  I found it somewhat humorous, but at least the security was doing its
job.
[End OT]

-----
Brian Bell