Prev: FT: Transporting minis Next: RE: Transporting minis

RE: [FT] Jump limits

From: Daniel Cleyne <DCleyne@c...>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:38:08 +1100
Subject: RE: [FT] Jump limits

> Well, the other way around, and not entirely--luminosity depends on
> temperature, temperature depends on mass and chemical composition.
> For Main Sequence stars, if my memory is right, Luminosity is
> proportional to Mass^3.8, approximately and leaving out a couple of
> factors.

	Ok that's fair. Not being an astronomer, I just  picked the
equations out of a book and stuck them into code. The point is that once
you
have luminosity you can calculate mass to a fair degree of accuracy (I
mean
they are only estimates in the first place). Again looking at the code
most
of the details rely on having a luminosity value to generate them. So
whether luminosity is the defining factor for these values or whether
they
are just proportionally related it doesn't matter too much.

	btw. The book I worked from was Kauffman's "Universe".

	Dan

	PS: Anyone know how to determine the colour of a star in RGB
form
given its luminosity ? I had to guess and something a little closer to
reality would be nice.

Prev: FT: Transporting minis Next: RE: Transporting minis