Prev: RE: GZG Online Catalogue Next: RE: Interdictors ?

Re: Snipers, Mr. Sarno!

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 06:31:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Snipers, Mr. Sarno!

RWHofrich@aol.com wrote:
> >	I'm curious to know how you "know" what type of laser people are
using
> in
> >  their SGII games. <g>  Anyway, the lasers in our games vaporize the
air as
> >  they travel and make that cool "laser" sound.  The longer they
travel, the
> >  more of that sound they make and the easier it is for you to
determine the
> >  point of origin.  Further, any laser fired on a battlefield is
going to
> have
> >  to pass through dust and probably smoke, so there will be a great
deal of
> >  light going in random directions.
> Of course, now you are assuming visible light spectrum
laser...personally I'd
> opt for the x-ray variety :-)

	That would still ionize the air.
	( I remember in Heinlein's RED PLANET, the guns left a purple
	trail in the air and a smell of ozone)

	I also remember an amusing scene in Niven's THE LONG ARM OF
	GIL HAMLIN.  Our hero was under attack from a visible light
	laser.	When it fired, he tried not to twitch his eyes.
	The afterimage (those blobs you see when somebody flashes
	a camera strobe at you) was a long line, pointing at
	the assasin.

Prev: RE: GZG Online Catalogue Next: RE: Interdictors ?