Prev: Re: [FT] ANNOUNCE Thrust Pack (last update of the Millenium) Next: Re: Wither Canada - er - Japan?

Re: Card Draws

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 23:36:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Card Draws

Tom McCarthy wrote:

> I really haven't followed this that closely, so maybe this example has
> already gone by.
>
> It's a card based initiative system which is still turn based and
still
> allows distinctions for general fleet quality and, to a lesser extent,
ship
> quality.  The admiral is rated for a certain number of cards (say 1 to
5)
> and the ships are rated for a maximum number of cards (say 1 to 3).
Deal
> each ship a card and the admiral his cards.
>
> Variant A:
> The admiral hands out his cards to the ships of the fleet.  When the
card
> comes up, that ship is activated (if not already activated).
>
> Variant B:
> The admiarl holds the cards and when one comes up, he can use it to
activate
> an unactivated ship.
>
> The cards either come up through a countdown (A, K, Q, J, 10, 9, ...,
with
> ties decided by suit Spade - Heart - Diamond - Club), or by cycling
through
> a second deck.  Ships only activate once and only when their first
card
> comes up.  Once activated, a ship discards all its cards for the turn
(can't
> be reactivated).
>
> As a variant, you can give the fighter groups a card, too.
>
> Obviously, good admirals have bigger hands of cards, good ships can
hold
> more cards.  Great ships might always have a second card regardless of
the
> admiral's choices, etc.

I first heard of this on this web page:

> http://underworld.fortunecity.com/descent/738/wwest.htm

Wild West Skirmish Wargaming

They use their own system "The Rules With No Name".
Gunfighters get a number of cards based on their skill.  Each card
allows that
character to perform one action.  The game appears very simple, and very
fast
playing.

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: [FT] ANNOUNCE Thrust Pack (last update of the Millenium) Next: Re: Wither Canada - er - Japan?